Proper Membrane Switch Installation Instructions
To correctly mount a membrane switch to a surface, just follow these easy steps:
- Starting opposite the circuit tail area, PEEL the release liner back approximately 1/2 inch and FOLD it flat against the back of the membrane switch. The crease in the release liner will allow the part to be maneuvered for alignment without adhering the switch to the mating surface.
- ADJUST the opposite end of the membrane to the mating surface taking into consideration any LED windows, display windows or cutout features that must align between the membrane and mating surface. DO NOT let the exposed adhesive come in contact with the mating surface while adjusting.
- After the membrane is properly aligned, PRESS the exposed adhesive area onto the mating surface securing it into place.
NOTE: The membrane switch must be kept as flat as possible during the entire lamination process, particularly in areas where tactile domes and LEDs are present. Bending the switch in these areas can cause permanent deformation of the tactile domes or loss of electrical continuity in the LEDs.
- Continue to HOLD the overlay in place while peeling away the release liner. KEEP the membrane as close to parallel to the mating surface to prevent stressing the domes and LEDs. BE CAREFUL not to crease the membrane where the adhesive is already laminated.
- LAMINATE the rest of the overlay. APPLY even pressure starting at the tacked-down end and working towards the termination tail end. To prevent air bubbles from being trapped under the switch, it is recommended that a rubber roller be used. FEED the tail through the exit slot before completing the lamination.
AVOID re-positioning a membrane switch once it has been laminated. Lifting a laminated membrane switch can distort the domes, cause the LEDs to malfunction, cause the adhesive to separate or cause keypad failure. DO NOT crease the circuit tail. Creasing the tail could break the conductive silver traces. We recommend a minimum bend radius of 0.125″.
Download PDF Version